Mater-Bi™ is a biodegradable starch-based bioplastic produced by Novamont. Mater-Bi™ can be processed using techniques applied within plastics manufacture and can be used in a variety of applications from bio fillers for tyres to carrier bags. It can be printed on using normal inks and dyes without the need for prior treatment and can be coloured in bulk using biodegradable colorants from Clariant.
Mater-Bi™ offers significant environmental benefits:
- it is made from plants which are a renewable resource
- the use of plant based plastics (bioplastics) helps conserve finite petroleum resources
- it is biodegradable and compostable
- it creates no waste by ‘closing the loop’
- it reduces greenhouse emissions:
- the plants harvested for starch extract carbon dioxide from the air to produce oxygen during photosynthesis.
For further information on Mater-Bi™ visit: http://www.materbi.com/
For further information on Clariants Colorants and Additives for the Plastic Business visit: http://pa.clariant.com/pa/internet.nsf/vwWebPagesByID/FD7D7F45915FCEA8C1256C7100405A1D