Developed by German company Solarc, the Scotty can charge a mobile phone using solar energy, it can also be used to recharge other battery-equipped e.g. PDA and a GPS system:
- 1 hour sunshine provides 3 hours of standby operation
- 2 internal high capacity Nickel Metal Hydride batteries act as intermediate storage for charging the phone
- Size = 100 x 60 x 20mm and 125g
- the solar cells produce 400mW
- an LED display shows the charging status
- can produce up to 14 Volts and can adjust the voltage by its intelligent electronics, so it can power Walkman, Discman, battery shaver and radio.
- on a sunny day, it takes 1-2 days to fully charge the rechargeable batteries. For a mobile phone with a 3.6V battery, it takes 2 hours to fully charge the phone.
Source: Tse, L. (2002). "Scotty - The Solar Charger", http://www.visionengineer.com/tech/scotty.php (accessed September, 2005)